Requesting real-world stats, please

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:30:18 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I may have "misunderestimated" the dynamics of how objects live in
> Varnish caches and thus taken a wrong optimization decision with
> the critbit hasher.
>
> I am looking for data to figure this out, specifically the values of
> the two varnishstat counters:
>
>        "N struct objecthead."
> and
>        "N struct object"
>
> Along with information about which version of varnish, and which, if
> any -h argument you use.
>
> If you happen to have this data for both -hcritbit and -hclassic it
> would be doubly-plus-wonderful.

Here are 10 2.1.2 64-bit servers using critbit (no -h arg) and 10
using classic (-h classic -- no bucket # arg). I restarted them all at
the same time a couple of hours ago.

Using critbit

n_object                62228          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            63142          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                38113          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            39805          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                53140          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            53970          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                79585          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            80546          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                61286          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            62108          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                58180          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            59079          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                59765          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            60620          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                52693          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            53492          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                 5132          .   N struct object
n_objecthead             5538          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                55557          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            56351          .   N struct objecthead

Using classic

n_object                65614          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            65629          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                52666          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            52673          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                48054          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            47778          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                73213          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            73202          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                60705          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            60746          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                61087          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            61113          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                46570          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            46718          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                54921          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            54954          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                39509          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            39525          .   N struct objecthead

n_object                45367          .   N struct object
n_objecthead            45408          .   N struct objecthead