Using Varnish to accelerate CouchDB

Karel Minařík karel.minarik at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 16:44:40 CET 2010

Hello,

> So, in order to use ETags, Varnish would have to get the document
> (or at least it's ETag) from backend on each request.
> So, you see, in order to use ETags, there has to be direct
> communication between client and the server. If there is a cache in
> between, ETags are useless.

thanks, but I don't think this is neccessarily true, if:

* The cache can "accumulate" requests to a certain resource for a
certain (configurable?) period of time (1 second, 1 minute, ...) and
ask the backend less often -- accelerating througput.

* The cache can return "possibly stale" content immediately and check
with the backend afterwards (on the background, when n-th next request
comes, ...) -- accelerating response time.

I am quite sure there are other ways I am not thinking of. And I think
these or other strategies are doable with Varnish, that time-based
acceleration is not the only option. Of course its possible/probable I
am absolutely mistaken :) That's why I am asking if anyone has any
reccommendations for accelerating Couch with Varnish.

Best,

Karel