Objects and objects head

Taylan Develioglu tdevelioglu at ebuddy.com
Tue Nov 16 14:24:01 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 11:35 +0100, rickytato rickytato wrote:
> I've two varnish server, balanced from DNS-RR, so the connection are
> pretty same ;

I'm surprised they are.

>  the configuration are the same.
> But one server have a munin graph veri different from the other. In
> the first server object and object head are the same, but the other
> no; in the first server after one week the object start to expunge,
> but in the second not.
> Why?

Does your backend send any Vary: header ? Varnish will cache different
instances of an object based on the presence of it.

We have a similar situation where the object:head ratio is different on
each node. Not DNS-RR but rather url hash based balancing.
4 nodes, 3.2TB storage. All identical, except for the varnish stats and
various other kinds of general weirdness, crashes not excluded.

The discrepancy of head:object supposedly should have been fixed in
2.1.4 (and it was partially).

Honestly, I found varnish's stable status misleading. For us it's been
anything but.