Varnish 2.1.3 / 2.1.4 on Debian

FabD [ML] flylm.ml at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 18:08:12 CET 2010

Hi,

I've two questions about Varnish and its use on my Debian Lenny with
Apache2 (mpm-worker) as backend.

1. I'm using Varnish 2.1.3 on my blog (WP), I've seen (on Gtmetrix.com
monitoring) that sometimes Varnish send "no-compressed" content when
it should send "gzip" content. For the moment, I don't succeded to
reproduce manually that.

Maybe someone would have an idea how to explain that ?

2. I've tried to replace Varnish 2.1.3 (Debian Lenny-backports) by the
2.1.4 (from Varnish repository). Varnish seems to work fine as long as
you aren't logged. When you're logged, Varnish sends the output very
late (at the end of Apache KeepAliveTimeOut => 15s, 2 x 15 s for 4
ressources, 30 s to see a simple little page...).

Turn off Apache KeepAlive solves the trouble, but is-it a good way, we
don't have to do that with the 2.1.3 ?

Thanks for your feedback.
Fabien. (be indulgent with my english)