Varnish 2.1.3 / 2.1.4 on Debian

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Sat Nov 20 21:14:20 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM, FabD [ML] <flylm.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've two questions about Varnish and its use on my Debian Lenny with
> Apache2 (mpm-worker) as backend.
>
> 1. I'm using Varnish 2.1.3 on my blog (WP), I've seen (on Gtmetrix.com
> monitoring) that sometimes Varnish send "no-compressed" content when
> it should send "gzip" content. For the moment, I don't succeded to
> reproduce manually that.
>
> Maybe someone would have an idea how to explain that ?

Sure. If Apache sends compressed content it should also send a
"Vary: accept-encoding" along so Varnish will _vary_ the content
depending on the content of that header. If the backend doesn't
you might send compressed content to someone you hasn't indicated
that they support it.

> 2. I've tried to replace Varnish 2.1.3 (Debian Lenny-backports) by the
> 2.1.4 (from Varnish repository). Varnish seems to work fine as long as
> you aren't logged. When you're logged, Varnish sends the output very
> late (at the end of Apache KeepAliveTimeOut => 15s, 2 x 15 s for 4
> ressources, 30 s to see a simple little page...).

This was discussed here a couple of weeks back, I think. Try searching
the archives.

--
Per Buer,  Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / skype: per.buer