Varnish 2.1.3 / 2.1.4 on Debian

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Sun Nov 21 10:46:56 CET 2010

Hi,

Please keep the correspondence on the mailing list.

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM, FabD [ML] <flylm.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure. If Apache sends compressed content it should also send a
>> "Vary: accept-encoding" along so Varnish will _vary_ the content
>> depending on the content of that header. If the backend doesn't
>> you might send compressed content to someone you hasn't indicated
>> that they support it.
>>

> In my case, the client supports gzip encoding and (sometimes)
> receives a "no-compressed" content until I restart varnish (or
> until the cache expires I guess).
> With this configuration of Apache2, it should not be possible ?
>
> => Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
>
> I don't know if it's a bad configuration issue of Varnish or Apache2 ?

I don't know much about Apache2 and how it is configured. I don't know
what the above line does but I recommend that you read the  art about
the Vary header in the docs:
http://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/tutorial/increasing_your_hitrate.html#vary

Varnish does Vary just as instructed by the Vary header. There isn't
much you can do to alter the behavior except to manipulate the headers
that you vary on.

--
Per Buer,  Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / skype: per.buer