Probing to see if Varnish is Alive.

Richard Chiswell richard.chiswell at mangahigh.com
Wed Sep 15 16:59:11 CEST 2010

  I've got our load balancer requesting a MySQL driven PHP page via
Apache and via Varnish.

Every second, our load balancer probes a page on our site. This page is
set to "pass" through Varnish to Apache which then asks PHP to check
MySQL. If all is ok, the page returns the text "All checks passed" - if
that text isn't there within 0.5s (for example, Varnish is unavailable,
Apache is unavailable, MySQL is unavailable etc), then that server is
removed from our load balanced pool. If we do maintenance, we just kill
Varnish (our site is still accessible to ourselves via port 8080 which
the Apache port), bring Varnish back up and then wait a couple of
seconds for the load balancer to notice the "All checks passed" text is
being returned.

Rich