Probing to see if Varnish is Alive.

Michal Taborsky - Netretail Holding michal.taborsky at nrholding.com
Wed Sep 15 17:39:39 CEST 2010

  Hi Mohan,

here is how we do it. We have also a couple of varnishes sitting in
front of several backend servers. Each backend server responds to a
simple http request on URL http://1.2.3.4/ping (1.2.3.4 being the
backend server IP). We use this to check the backend server health in
our VCL (in the probe statement). We also use this URL however to check
the health of the varnish servers too. We just configured our load
balancer to access the varnish URL (http://5.6.7.8/ping, 5.6.7.8 being
the varnish IP address) and check it's http status code.

Now, the load balancer will stop sending traffic to the varnish server
either when it is down itself or when all it's backends are down, which
is essentially the same thing, because it means the varnish cannot serve
traffic. We are using restart in the VCL to make sure that single
backend failure will not trigger this. If one backend goes down, the
ping request is served by different live backend.

Does it make sense?

Michal

Dne 15.9.2010 15:25, Mohan Rao napsal(a):
> Hi,
> Is there a way to probe a varnish server to see if it is alive ? We
> have a couple of varnish servers that are load balanced. We would like
> the load balancer to stop sending traffic to a particular varnish
> server if we are updating that server. Is there a recommended way to
> do this ?
> Thanks & Regards,
> Mohan

Michal Táborský