neverending saga of varnish + joomla

Mitch Pirtle mitch at spacemonkeylabs.com
Mon Aug 8 09:29:20 CEST 2011

On 07/ago/2011, at 22:42, "Kevin" <k at kevinkevin.com> wrote:

> The problem is varnish is having a very very difficult time knowing when to pipe or pass the traffic to the backend webserver if a logged in session happens. It seems that unless you patch joomla to do its own internal checks and determine if a user is anonymous or not, and send a custom http header that varnish can read, there is no other real way to make varnish work with joomla.

Hi Kevin!

You can accomplish this by writing a Joomla plugin that does these things.

There are example plugins in the Joomla wiki (I'm loitering outside and don't have access right now, sorry!) and I believe there is a simple plugin example provided in the 1.5 distribution.

Essentially think of Joomla plugins as database triggers and stored procedures. When a specific event fires in the execution stack, any plugins for that event are fired as well.

Hope this helps,

-- Mitch