varnish saint-mode

Simon Males sime at sime.net.au
Wed Aug 24 03:31:27 CEST 2011

Back to your original problem, it's sounds like the VCL is failing to compile.

Using varnishadm, you get see the compiler error's on screen.

vcl.list
        List all loaded configuration.

In your case, you will only one, likely called 'boot', as your restart
varnish to load a vcl.

vcl.load <configname> <filename>
        Compile and load the VCL file under the name provided.

Here is an example of trying to compile a bogus VCL.

# varnishadm -S /etc/varnish/secret -T localhost:6082 vcl.load fail
/etc/varnish/default.vcl
Message from VCC-compiler:
Expected '.' got 'crap'
(program line 101), at