503 errors

Mark E mark at simplercomputing.net
Tue Aug 23 17:55:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

Anyone know why Varnish would throw a "503 Guru Mediation" error when
landing on site that uses cookies? For example, we have a WordPress site
that of course requires login to reach the admin interface. Every so
often anyone who has ever logged in sees the 503 error. The only way
around it that I know of so far is to clear the cookie by either
deleting it or going to the WordPress login screen which runs a bit of
code to clear the cookie. Or at least that's what I think is happening.

The VCL isn't caching pages with cookies.

How do I remedy this issue?

Mark