Varnish on top of CAStor

Thijs van Nuland tvannuland at mirabeau.nl
Thu Aug 25 09:29:50 CEST 2011

Hi, I am using Varnish in front of the Caringo CAStor storage system.
CAStor requires Varnish to perform the actions described below, is this possible? (basically I would need some kind of 'God mode' for the backends, or I need to bypass the director - or make my own director)

( the redirects occur on PUT-POST-GET-HEAD)

Thanks in advance.

Client applications must be able to accept and properly interpret two different
kinds of redirect responses. If CAStor returns a 301 Moved Permanently response, this means the Primary Access Note
(PAN) is asking the client to resend the current request to the location supplied in the response headers (see Section 10.3.2<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3.2> of the HTTP/1.1 spec) and to direct all future requests to that new node until further
notice.

An authorization parameter will be supplied in the location header. This
parameter should be included in the request to the new PAN. It is possible that a
future Moved Permanently will be received
redirecting to yet another PAN (in that respect, the response is slightly
misnamed).

The second type of redirect response CAStor might send is the 307 Temporary Redirect. This response asks the client
to resend the current request to the location
supplied in the response headers, but to continue using the original PAN for the
next request until further notice.

[cid:blank4a37.gif]
Thijs van Nuland
Senior Applicatiebeheerder
[cid:blank2447.gif]

[cid:blank4bdf.gif]
Mirabeau | Managed Services    Emmasingel 29-31, 5611 AZ Eindhoven
+31(0)20-5950550  -  www.mirabeau.nl<http://www.mirabeau.nl>
        [Mirabeau]

[cid:leaf4a68.gif]      Please consider the environment before printing this email