Problems with users getting old cache versions

Kristoffer Brabrand kristoffer at brabrand.no
Thu Jan 6 15:14:05 CET 2011

We're having a problem with users getting an old cache version every now and then. Most of the times it happens in the morning, it might be something with the browsert not beeing used overnight?

What I do know for a fact is that the page looks right behind varnish, so it must be either Varnish, headers or the browser – or a combination of the ones mentioned.

Headers sent from backend to Varnish:
> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:01:29 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu)

Headers sent from Varnish to browser:
> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 13:59:45 GMT

I've uploaded the VCL file here: http://pastebin.com/4SyVDy70

Could it be that the browser for some reason decides it doesn't want to check for/load a new version from the host? I'm no Varnish expert, and even though I've been able to solve what's come up through the year this one is driving me mad.

Some help would be mostly appreciated!

Kind regards,
K. Brabrand