Load balancing streaming (rtsp) servers

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at varnish-software.com
Fri Jan 7 11:18:48 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 05:59:15PM -0500, Nicholas Tang wrote:
> Question: is it possible to load balance rtsp servers using Varnish?  They'd
> need to "stick" based on client ip.  My thought was to try something like
> this:

Well, RTSP is two-way and keeps state. HTTP only allows clients to send
requests and doesn't keep state....

I woduln't rule it out - RTSP is specced to "support the same sort of
caching as HTTP" - but it's probably going to be a hack.

Ask me in a few days - though - by a WILD coincidence, I'm hacking on rtsp
anyway.

- Kristian