time out on big object ??

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 01:04:59 CEST 2011

On 7 June 2011 14:01, Patrick CAO HUU THIEN
<patrick.cao_huu_thien at upmc.fr> wrote:
> Geoff Simmons a dit le 06/01/2011 02:11 PM:
>

>> Um, I don't follow. You *do* want Varnish to cache the file? If so, then
>> you don't want to return pass on the URL. In that case, you need a
>> larger value for send_timeout (assuming my guess is right that
>> send_timeout aborted your connection).
>
> Damned. No. I don't want to cache big objects.
> sorry for my bad english ... :(
>

>> There's always a send_timeout, 10 minutes by default, but you can
>> increase it. If you have return(pass) on the URL, then the timeout won't
>> interfere with the transmission, but then Varnish won't be caching the
>> object.
>
> Are you sure about the disconnection between the pass action and the
> send_timeout parameter ?
>
> Ok, I understand the time-out of 10min.
> But with the return(pass) I've just added, varnish continue to make
> a time-out after 10min.
>
> So I have to put the send_timeout option to a higher value even if I
> make a return(pass). 1200s may not be enough because personal or
> foreign connection may be slower then the one I test at home. I put
> 6000s to be large :)
>
> thanks for your help Goeff

If you don't want to cache the large object at all then you can return
(pipe); instead. I do this for large media files proxied by Varnish to
prevent reading the entire file into memory before delivering it to
the client. It sounds like you may still need to increase the time out
value though, which is a parameter to varnishd.

Laurence