Language of Varnish 3.0

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:16:27 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In message <BANLkTimtQrymBOG2GoM3tJ1XYpQ2uDRcWg at mail.gmail.com>, Kacper Wysocki
>  writes:
>
>>these changes taken together make it very difficult (read: not doable)
>>to write portable vcl..
>
> Unfortunately one cannot make an omelette without breaking the eggs.

Are you referring to all those vcl scripts out there as the eggs?

If you are the one making the omlette I am the one feeding the unhappy hens...

True, you can not change syntax without changing syntax... but you
could add syntactic sugar to make things more managable. This was not
possible when going from posix regex to pcre without supporting both,
which would be fugly, but is reasonably managable with these new
changes, unless we call all the little eggs "legacy" and the stance on
legacy is like the stance against terrorists - no compromise.

> In general we aim to make such changes to VCL only for major
> releases (ie: 2.0 -> 3.0) so you shouldn't have trouble until
> 4.0 again.

Or 3.1, as the case may be?

0K out, still just clearing the air.