Language of Varnish 3.0

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jun 8 21:29:28 CEST 2011

In message <BANLkTinppz1Famegjpzbz65XGyC5Xt14WA at mail.gmail.com>, Kacper Wysocki
 writes:

>Or 3.1, as the case may be?

No, that is not a major version, that is only a minor version.

Listen, I'm not doing this kind of stuff to hurt anybody.

Backwards compatibility and "syntactic sugare" is always a
tradeoff of where you want to spend your effort.

With the limited amount of developers and testers we have available
in Varnish, I have prioritized getting important stuff done, which
in this particular context included VMODS which caused a pretty
extensive rewrite of the VCL compiler.

In all likelyhood, some of your VCL scripts should be converted
to a VMOD (Sorry: you cannot write VMOD's in VCL yet) and once
you realize what options that gives you, I think you will see
the VCL improvements from 2.X to 3.X as quite sensible.