Language of Varnish 3.0

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:22:49 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In message <BANLkTinppz1Famegjpzbz65XGyC5Xt14WA at mail.gmail.com>, Kacper Wysocki
>  writes:
>
>>Or 3.1, as the case may be?
>
> No, that is not a major version, that is only a minor version.

will hold you to it :d

> Listen, I'm not doing this kind of stuff to hurt anybody.

Duly noted.

> Backwards compatibility and "syntactic sugare" is always a
> tradeoff of where you want to spend your effort.
>
> With the limited amount of developers and testers we have available
> in Varnish, I have prioritized getting important stuff done, which
> in this particular context included VMODS which caused a pretty
> extensive rewrite of the VCL compiler.

I paid particular attention to this part of the code as my interests
often lie within language design.

This thread is not a rally against change or progress, the answers you
have given are appreciated

> In all likelyhood, some of your VCL scripts should be converted
> to a VMOD (Sorry: you cannot write VMOD's in VCL yet) and once
> you realize what options that gives you, I think you will see
> the VCL improvements from 2.X to 3.X as quite sensible.

Most of us, me included, are very excited about the options VMODs give
us and look forward to VCL VMODs too.

0K