varnish is using all file descriptors

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Mon Jun 20 22:02:44 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Vince <cooltechemail at gmail.com> wrote
> Hi,
> We had a problem with our varnish server recently that sometimes the server
> will use all file descriptors available to it, which is set to 65536, and
> start refusing connections. I am wondering how to find out what's the real
> problem behind it.

Why the insanely low number? Out of the box my laptop has over half a
million. With 2minutes timeout for reuse on a tcp socket you would run
of sockets in a jiffie - oh, wait, that's what happening. :-)

I would set up waaaay up. FD's are really cheap. You could start to
tune your TCP stack and/or reduce the number of Varnish threads but
unless you are on a embedded system I wouldn't do it.

--
Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer