Best practice for SSL passthrough?

Lars Jørgensen lajo at kb.dk
Tue Jun 21 12:53:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

Not a solution to below problem, but I found a very easy workaround. Posting it here in case it has relevance to other users.

Problem: HTTP and HTTPS goes to same cached FQDN. Varnish only does HTTP, how to pass HTTPS through to the backend?
Solution: xinetd can do this out of the box. Create a file in /etc/xinetd.d containing stuff like below and restart xinetd.

service some_unique_name
{
 type = UNLISTED
 flags = REUSE
 socket_type = stream
 wait = no
 user = root
 redirect = back.end.ip.address 443
 port = 443
}

A big caveat to this: You will not be able to cache HTTPS traffic. In my case that's not a problem but YMMV.

Lars