lurker?

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at varnish-software.com
Wed Jun 29 09:47:31 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 07:17:18AM +0000, Lars Jørgensen wrote:
> > > Don't worry about it.
>
> > I would still like to know if it's happening constantly or not,
> > though... It could be harmless (or a optimization opportunity for your
> > bans) or it could be something else. Most likely it's the former.
>
> > Do you have any bans?
>
> Not that I know of. How do they look? I mean, it may be a term I'm
> unfamiliar with. There is no "ban" keyword in my VCL, but I am not
> aware if a "ban" is something else. I actually thought it was a purge,
> when looking at varnishadm...

What was known as purges in Varnish 2.x is known as bans in 3.0, so a
bit of confusion...

Use 'ban.list' on varnishadm and it should list any bans. You can also
change the ban_lurker_sleep param to a higher value, though it shouldn't
be a real problem.

If you do find that you use bans, make sure they don't use 'req', but
'obj' instead where possible. I've explained bans and the ban lurker
further in a blog post [1].

As for 100 per second.... The default sleep for the ban lurker is 0.01s,
which means 100 per second, but again, smart bans shouldn't trigger log
activity like what you're seeing and neither should an empty ban list.

[1] https://kristianlyng.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/smart-bans-with-varnish/

- Kristian