backend question

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Thu Jun 30 09:33:18 CEST 2011

I do this on my two main sites and it works great.  I am definitely on a
budget, so I'd agree with that part!  Varnish allows me to take a crappy
cheap dedicated machine (P4 2.8ghz, 1gb ram) and get reddited without a
problem.  I run it in front of a MediaWiki and a Wordpress site, and it
takes both of them from ~15 reqs/sec to > 300 rps, with the former being
100% cpu maxed, and the latter being about 10% cpu usage.  It'll max out
the 100mbps link without breaking a sweat.

I don't even bother with all of the wordpress and mediawiki caching
stuff that everybody talks about all the time (I still use APC for
various other reasons, though, and I use W3TC for managing AWS CF, but I
have all its local caching features turned off), because I just solve
all that with varnish, way better than the plugins possibly can.

Note:  I did some load tests and it turns out apache httpd isn't as slow
as most articles on the internet claim (it'll do 300 rps on a simple php
file as well, and it was basically identical to nginx+php-fpm on this
hardware), it's just that wordpress is a giant pig.

Anyway, it works great for small sites.

I wonder how large a site you could serve on one of the AWS EC2 micro
instances (which are in the free tier) with varnish, actually.  They
suck for httpd because if the CPU spikes too high AWS will throttle you
to nothing, but varnish could conceivably fix that problem.  Oh well,
not enough time to experiment with this.

Chris