Varnish 503ing on ~1/100 POSTs

Ronan Mullally ronan at iol.ie
Wed Mar 9 16:38:28 CET 2011

Hi Stephan,

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Caunter, Stefan wrote:

> I don't think pass or pipe is the issue. 503 means the backend can't
> answer, and calling pipe won't change that.

> Set up a "patient" back end; you can collect your back ends into a
> patient director.

Ah, the penny drops.  I was thinking of "patient" in the context of
health checks (ie a sick backend).

I'll give it a go, but my gut feeling is that the backends aren't at
fault.  I'm seeing this error when they are both backends lightly loaded
(load average around 1 on an 8 core box), and the rate of incidence does
not appear to be related to the load - I actually saw a slightly lower
rate (under 1%) last night when utilisation was higher, and as I said
previously when I used pound instead of varnish this wasn't a problem.

I'll try the patient backend and keep a close eye on the error rate vs
utilisation over the next few days.  Thanks for your help.

-Ronan