Warming the cache from an existing squid proxy instance

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Mon Mar 21 16:08:45 CET 2011

Hi all -

I've got some long-running squid instances, mainly used for caching
medium-sized binaries, which I'd like to replace with some varnish
instances.  The binaries are quite heavy to regenerate on the distant
origin servers and there's a large number of them.  Hence, I'd like to
use the squid cache as a target to warm a (new, nearby) varnish
instance instead of just pointing the varnish instance at the remote
origin servers.

The squid instances are running in proxy mode, and require (I
*believe*) an HTTP CONNECT.  I've looked around for people trying the
same thing, but haven't come across any success stories.  I'm
perfectly prepared to be told that I simply have to reconfigure the
squid instances in mixed proxy/origin-server mode, and that there's no
way around it, but I thought I'd ask the list for guidance first ...

Any thoughts?
Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews