Using varnish to cache remote content

Stewart Robinson stewsnooze at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:40:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

You can only cache items where the DNS record for those sites points at the server/infrastructure where you are running Varnish.

You could do something crazy like have flickr.mydomain.com referenced in your HTML pages which is configured in Varnish to use flickr.com as a backend. Personally I think this is a bit strange but it is possible.

You need to think about why you are caching external stuff in Varnish and whether you are allowed to?

Stew