Using varnish to cache remote content

Ronny Östman ronny.ostman at apberget.se
Wed Mar 30 08:35:10 CEST 2011

Hello!

This might be a stupid question since I've searched alot and haven't
really found the answer..

Anyway, I have a varnish set up caching requests to my backend the way I
want it to and it works great
for all content that my backend provides.

The problem I am having is caching content from remote sources.. I'm not
sure if this is really possible since
the request may not go through varnish.. i guess?

To further illustrate my question, here's an example of how it might look:

GET mydomain.com - Domain: mydomain.com
GET main.css - Domain: mydomain.com
GET hello.jpg - Domain: static.mydomain.com
GET anypicture.png - Domain: flickr.com
GET foo.js - Domain: foo.com

In this example, is it possible to have my varnish cache those "remote"
requests as well? I can set up backends
for those remote domains and force varnish to use them instead of my own
backend but I can't seem to find a
way to have varnish do this "dynamically". The requests doesnt seem to go
through my varnish according to
varnishlog and this makes it hard to set backend depending on host.

Am I trying to accomplish something impossible here?

Thanks!

Regards,
Ronny