varnish as traffic director

Hettwer, Marian mhettwer at team.mobile.de
Thu Mar 31 15:09:22 CEST 2011

On 31.03.11 14:59, "Jonathan Leibiusky" <ionathan at gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks! It is great to know about real life implementations.
>Do you have any good way to test rules in your dev env?
>Is there any benchmark on varnish vs. nginx in regard of load balancing?

Some Real-Life numbers. We have 4 varnishes deployed in front of a big
german classifieds site.
Each varnish is doing 1200 requests/second and according to munin, each
machine is nearly idle.
(cpu load at 4% out of 800%).

Hardware is HP blades with 8 cores and 8 gig ram.
I wouldn't bother to try out nginx. If nginx is in the same league like
varnish, I probably couldn't spot a difference anyway ;-)

Besides, I'm really happy with varnish.
Sorry, no real-life infos about nginx here...

Regards,
Marian