Intermittent 503's from Varnish

Steve Webster steve.webster at lovefilm.com
Mon Nov 7 17:17:59 CET 2011

On 7 Nov 2011, at 15:52, AD wrote:

> Hmm that seems strange.  So if you dont set grace mode, saint mode just offers you the ability to use an alternate backend and take one out of rotation?  Grace mode seems to be a different use case where it will serve stale while multiple requests are requesting the same object to prevent request queueing.
>
> Otherwise cant you achieve the same result with a director + healthchecks?

As I understand it, Saint mode is more granular than the health check mechanism in that it blacklists a given URL on a given backend for a period of time that you specify. Health checks affect the backend as a whole.

Cheers,

Steve

--
Steve Webster
Web Architect

(Apologies for the overly long and pointless corporate footer that follows.)

LOVEFiLM UK Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Number: 06528297.
Registered Office: No.9, 6 Portal Way, London W3 6RU, United Kingdom.

This e-mail is confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you have received it in error,
please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately.

This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.
For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.co.uk