ubuntu package help

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Sat Nov 12 06:55:57 CET 2011

I installed varnish on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric though the default repositories
(apt-get install varnish). The Ubuntu package does not just supply
/usr/sbin/varnishd and /etc/varnish/default.vcl; it also creates some
startup entries (/etc/init.d/varnish, varnishlog, varnishncsa) by default.
I would like to use this package as it was meant, but it is not clear to me
how I am supposed to use it and I don't think there is any documentation.

Some questions:

- Does the package assume port 80 is available (hence does it conflict with
Apache2) ? I installed both but port 80 seems to be solely used for Apache.
- How am I supposed to include my own VCL script? Should I just overwrite
/etc/varnish/default.vcl ?
- Is there any place to 'configure' the varnishd startup options, or should
I hack those into the startup scripts ?

Thanks,

Jeroen