non-sudo access to varnishlog

Stroomer, Jeff Jeff.Stroomer at disney.com
Thu Nov 17 22:10:52 CET 2011

Everyone,

We're getting close to deploying the live version of our website.  On the live site, I don't have sudo rights, but nevertheless I need to be able to log in and debug problems.  Unfortunately, when I try to run varnishlog without sudo I run into the following:

jstroomer at duckman ~
$ varnishlog
Cannot open /var/lib/varnish/duckman/_.vsm: Permission denied

I've tried playing with the permissions on /etc/varnish/secret and /var/lib/varnish/duckman/_.vsm, but so far haven't found a way to solve my problem.  Any advice?

Jeff