Cannot Start Varnish with Multiple Backends

Rob Miller rob at bigfish.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 20:20:31 CET 2011

On 23 Nov 2011, at 19:14, Mark Gavin wrote:

> Basically it seems like when I define a backend that is another server, varnish will not start. I have read through many pages of documentation examples and I do not see where I am going wrong with this setup or I missed something. I am so frustrated at this point and would be so very grateful for any help you can offer.

You need to set a default backend, in case your `if` doesn't match:

# Default backend for all hosts
set req.backend = baz;

if ( req.http.host == "example.com" ) {
	# Backend for just this host
	set req.backend = server10;
}

(Presumably you're going to actually switch between two backends — or else your `if` isn't necessary!)

Rob

--

Rob Miller
Big Fish® | 11 Chelsea Wharf | 15 Lots Road | London | SW10 0QJ

Office number: +44 (0)20 7795 0075
Direct dial: +44 (0)20 7376 6799

e-mail rob at bigfish.co.uk
http://www.bigfish.co.uk