Sporadic 503 errors with 3.0.2

Bryan Stillwell bstillwell at photobucket.com
Mon Oct 31 04:40:21 CET 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Tollef Fog Heen
<tfheen at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> ]] Bryan Stillwell
>
> | It looks like backend_fail numbers line up with what I'm seeing.  Any
> | suggestions on figuring out what is failing?
>
> My first guess would be you hitting connect_timeout, try increasing that
> and see if the rate changes?

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that setting didn't have
any noticeable effect on the number of backend failures.

However, it did get me re-evaluating whether or not the problem
actually existed between varnish and the web servers.  Out of the
switches, networking cables, and load balancers, I decided to try
removing the load balancers today (since I was planning on doing that
anyways).  Once I did, the number of backend failures and 503

Bryan