PRIV_CALL issue in vmod

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Sep 12 23:48:09 CEST 2011

In message <CANZWjw5t+Q0iEa-5rN6xriuy6Kw7i8Auq-z_vGj5uBKw9_gpog at mail.gmail.com>
, AD writes:

> I am trying to use the PRIV_CALL capability of the vmods in order to cache
>an expensive operation used later in the vcl itself.

That is not how it works.

PRIV_CALL is for caching things for the next time this call is executed.

The canonical example is a caching a compiled regexp.

What you need is a "PRIV_SESS" or "PRIV_REQ" variable, and I'm beating
my head against the wall trying to find the best way to implement
that as we're speaking...