varnish cach question

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Tue Sep 20 09:14:51 CEST 2011

Hi Ali,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Your Friend <parsimail2001 at yahoo.se> wrote:

> I'm using malloc for Varnish. I'm using a php application which runs
> deamons for live streaming (text-streaming) and has a big issue with memory,
> also memory leak so I desided to use echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches.

This has nothing to do with the memory leak in your program. This command
flushes out the internal caching in the OS kernel. It will only screw up
your IO performance.

Here comes the problem! I think this command resets varnish's cache! (not
> 100% sure.)

If you are using -s file I think the command might flush out parts of
Varnish cache as well. If you are using -s malloc then it won't have any
effect.

> How can I stop memory leaking without resetting Varnish cache? (my php
> application is the latest version and I can't replace it with an other
> application)

Restart the PHP application or fix the leak.

--
Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer