A new user with a few questions

Nicole H. nicole4pt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 01:35:07 CEST 2011

Hello all
 I am converting a number of reverse proxy squid servers to Varnish and I
have a few issues I haven't been able to solve that I hope you can help me
with.
 I am using Varnish 3.0.1 on FreeBSD 8.X and 3 (smallish) disks for the
data

1) Any tunes, recommendations or feelings for/against using ZFS as the file
system?  I had been using ZFS for squid. I have tried UFS with Soft-Updates
off.  Seems like UFS would be fine and use less memory but would ZFS provide
any real speed difference?  I realize more in memory is always better, but I
am stuck using older servers with only 4G of memory.

2)  When using both ZFS and UFS on FreeBSD, I see a 43G varnish-storage.bin
file that has been created on my disk, however df -h only shows 31k or 84K
on UFS of disk usage. How can that be?

3)  What would be the Varnish equivalent for a squid parameter like this?
Basically how to convert/force a full reload request into an If Modified
Since?
    refresh_pattern -i \.xml 0 20% 4320 reload-into-ims

4)  When testing, I am seeing these in the headers. I have tried a number of
things but I can't seem to remove them.
 How do I remove these? If not all, especially the Client-Peer IP address.

Client-Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:10:28 GMT
Client-Peer: 10.0.2.3:80
Client-Response-Num: 1

 Thanks!

  Nicole