Varnish reload -- stop using existing config

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Tue Aug 28 19:18:54 CEST 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, Crowder, Travis wrote:

> I saw the following message in the mail archives, but I did not see a
> response.
>
> Is there a way to force clients to use a new config after a reload?

(based on 2.1, no experience with 3.x)

There was no reload function in the rhel init.d script, so we built one in
using
http://kristianlyng.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/easy-reloading-of-varnish-vcl/
as a guide

Something this doesn't mention is that you'll want to do a vcl.discard
oldconfig

don't forget about the "boot" config as well - vcl.list to get a list of
the configs in place.

It was mentioned at the time that you may want a short sleep before the
discard due to some bugs that may have already been fixed....

anyway - I'd try that. ;)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org       ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail