Out of memory exception on Varnish 2.1.5

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Aug 29 23:41:56 CEST 2012

Hi Connor.

As I said:
You either have to little memory in your system or you are asking Varnish
to use too much. I'm guessing you are using -s malloc. Remember that there
is a 1k overhead on each object stored in Varnish.

This isn't something Varnish does. It is something the kernel does. Varnish
might trigger it because of the way Varnish or your system is configured.
The kernel uses The Big Shotgun to clear memory and that might explain why
Varnish is a bit dazed and confused afterwards. You want to avoid this
situation.

So what you want to do:
 - Add memory
 - Add swap space
 - Reduce varnish memory usage (at least if you are using -s malloc)