Why use status code 750 for redirects?

James Pearson james at ifixit.com
Fri Dec 21 22:48:40 CET 2012

In the Varnish book (and every site reposting the same example), we are shown
how to make a redirect in VCL by using 'error 750'.[1]  This seems more
roundabout than necessary - why not just use 'error 302'?  It'll end up being
the same to the users, but is more clear in its intention.

The only reason I can think of for not doing that is if you have any cases
where you want to display an error page with a 302 status code, but *not*
redirect.  But why would you want to do that?

[1]: https://www.varnish-software.com/static/book/VCL_functions.html#example-redirecting-users-with-vcl-error