varnish + sharepoint 2010

Paul A. Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Thu Feb 2 02:35:35 CET 2012

So you need to check if a user is authorized for an object (which may or may not already be cached by Varnish) by means of an external application. (Sharepoint)

Something along the lines perhaps?

###################################
sub vcl_recv {
  if (req.url ~ "^/authorized_content") {
    if (req.restarts == 0) {
      set req.backend = authorization_backend;
      return(pass);
    } else {
      set req.backend = real_backend;
      set req.url = regsub(req.url, "_authorize_me", "");

sub vcl_fetch {
  if (req.url ~ "^/authorized_content" && req.restarts == 0) {
    if (beresp.status == 200) {
      restart;
    } else {
      error 403 "Not authorized";

Part of the problem is, Varnish doesn't know what's authorized and it will have to check every request to ensure a request is in fact authorized for the given content.
Other than the above brief example, you could possibly create a vmod that caches responses from the `authorization_backend` and uses that for future requests. (if one doesn't exist already)

~Paul