What errors does "varnishlog -i Error" actually log?

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Tue Jan 24 14:05:50 CET 2012

On 01/24/12 11:59 AM, Yavor Atanasov wrote:

> I have a couple of questions regarding varnishlog tags. We would like use
> varnishlog to record only certain logs from varnish, mostly errors.
>
> My first question is - what types of errors does actually " varnishlog -i
> Error " display? I am asking because I can't seem to be able to trigger one
> that would be recorded with this tag. The vcl_error subroutine doesn't seem
> to fall into that category, and also running out of session workspace
> doesn't either. What errors does this tag actually log?

Searching in the current development trunk:

$ find . -name *.c | xargs grep SLT_Error
./bin/varnishd/cache/cache_vary.c:		WSP(sp, SLT_Error, "Vary header had
extra ':', fix backend");

The extra ':' in Vary is evidently the only case.

> My other question is regarding the HttpError tag - " varnishlog -i
> HttpError ". That is documented as an available tag in the man pages for
> varnishlog, but when I try to run varnishlog with that option it says this
> tag does not exist:
>
> Could not match "HttpError" to any tag
> usage: varnishlog [-bCcd] [-i tag] [-I regexp] [-k keep] [-r file] [-s
> skip] [-X regexp] [-x tag] [-aDoV] [-n varnish_name] [-P file] [-w file]

The same grep for HttpError doesn't yield any hits, so it looks like the
documentation is out of date.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Schwanenwik 24
22087 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917