Varnish 3.0.2 on FreeBSD 8-STABLE: Constant Restart

Marc Fournier lists at hub.org
Fri Jul 13 19:51:02 CEST 2012

Morning …

  OS: FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #2: Mon Jul  2 21:20:02 UTC 2012

   I am trying to use varnish as a caching front end to a wordpress site … found some wordpress specific templetes for vcl_recv / vcl_fetch, to provide me with a base, and everything starts up, and stays running fine, *until* I change my DNS to have the domain go through Varnish … and then it starts rebooting …

   This test through, before I switched DNS, I had an uptime (according to varnish stat) of just over 1 hr … as soon as I switched DNS over, uptime kept resetting to 0, with (after switching DNS back again), I'm currently seeing:

0+00:07:44
Hitrate ratio:        0        0        0
Hitrate avg:     0.0000   0.0000   0.0000

   And, according to ps, you can see the Child much younger then the Mgr:

root at lb1:/var/log # ps aux | grep varnish
www      52281  0.0  0.0 355674084  6432  ??  IJ    5:34PM   0:00.16 varnishd: Varnish-Chld lb1.hospitalityleaders.com (varnishd)
root     74714  0.0  0.0 98032  2636  ??  SsJ   4:21PM   0:00.13 varnishd: Varnish-Mgr lb1.hospitalityleaders.com (varnishd)
root     71856  0.0  0.0   540   328   2  S+J   5:44PM   0:00.00 grep varnish

   I'm new with this, so not really sure how best to debug … I did see something from PHK in one of my searches talking about an issue with cookies … ?   But I haven't been able to re-find that posting …

    I've also, so far, been unable to find a core file, although I'm currently running a find across the whole file system to see if there isn't one …

    Any suggestions on where to start debugging this, or more information I can provide, would be appreciated …

Thank you ...