How to include inside vcl_recv

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Mon Jul 16 18:49:07 CEST 2012

On 16 July 2012 13:43, Nick Tailor <nick.tailor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hahhahaha, google is not always your friend. It will give you like 10 different answers for things. Sometimes it's easier and time efficient to just tell them.

Agreed. In fact, I'd say it's /always/ more short-term time-efficient
just to tell people an answer if you have it. But doing so doesn't
lead to them learning anything more than that specific bit of
information.

I find the Varnish-misc mailing list to be rather clueful and, unlike
the lists for certain other great bits of F/LOSS, there's usually a
very low level of "solve my problem for me" requests. Read the nginx
list for myriad examples of that pattern in action - it's pretty
boring to be around.

I'm not criticising you for providing the answer in the way you did -
I just personally have a low tolerance for list noise that doesn't do
anything more than advance the state of someone's knowledge purely
linearly. Training people to use the search (http://google.com) and
documentation (https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/3.0/) tools already
at their disposal is always a good thing, IMHO. Even if it's actually
"easier" just to serve the answer up on a plate instead :-)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews
Oxford, London, UK