Question about srcbody in VCL_conf

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jul 31 11:37:16 CEST 2012

In message <5017A456.7090905 at unister-gmbh.de>, Gordon Schmidt writes:

>> It sounds really strange that this should have the performance
>> effect you claim...
>I didn't get the 8%-10% by minifying - the performance gain with
>minified vcls is lower.
>Just for testing, I removed the part in the vcc_compile.c responsable
>for adding scrbody to the compiled object to get the full performance
>improvement.

The only thing you have done is remove the memory footprint by a
few kilobytes.

If that radically changes your performance it can only be because
it allows you to operate entirely inside the L1/L2/L3 cache of your
CPU.

That would indicate that your benchmark is so trivially simple that
it is invalid for any realistisk workload with more than one URL.