Question about srcbody in VCL_conf

Gordon Schmidt gordon.schmidt at unister-gmbh.de
Tue Jul 31 15:07:31 CEST 2012

On 31.07.2012 11:37, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <5017A456.7090905 at unister-gmbh.de>, Gordon Schmidt writes:
>
>>> It sounds really strange that this should have the performance
>>> effect you claim...
>> I didn't get the 8%-10% by minifying - the performance gain with
>> minified vcls is lower.
>> Just for testing, I removed the part in the vcc_compile.c responsable
>> for adding scrbody to the compiled object to get the full performance
>> improvement.
> The only thing you have done is remove the memory footprint by a
> few kilobytes.
>
> If that radically changes your performance it can only be because
> it allows you to operate entirely inside the L1/L2/L3 cache of your
> CPU.
>
> That would indicate that your benchmark is so trivially simple that
> it is invalid for any realistisk workload with more than one URL.
I haven't said anything different. The test is simple as i already
stated in my very first post.

Still - an option to reduce the memory footprint, when the additional
data is not needed, would be nice.

Btw. the situation becomes relevant, when you have one or only few
resources that are not cachable and will hit much more frequently than
all the other resources.

Regards
Gordon

--
E-Mail-Signatur

*Gordon Schmidt*
Softwareentwickler - QA

Unister GmbH
Barfußgässchen 11 | 04109 Leipzig

Telefon: +49 (0)341 65050 - 25757
gordon.schmidt at unister.de <mailto:gordon.schmidt at unister.de>
www.unister.de <http://www.unister.de>

Vertretungsberechtigter Geschäftsführer: Thomas Wagner
Amtsgericht Leipzig, HRB: 19056