Varnish using more RAM than allocated

Crowder, Travis Travis.Crowder at penton.com
Fri Jun 22 20:45:30 CEST 2012

I recall seeing on the mailing list before a reason why Varnish would use more RAM than allocated due to storing something outside of the defined allocated memory.

For example, I have a box that is allocated 6G of RAM, but it is using about 12G virtual memory.

>top
9101 nobody    20   0 11.7g 6.8g  81m S  6.0 88.5   1270:21 varnishd

Varnish is invoked via:
/usr/local/sbin/varnishd -f /usr/local/etc/varnish/default.vcl -s malloc,6G -T xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2000 -a :80

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks,
Travis