Varnish using more RAM than allocated

Lee Trout lee at leetrout.com
Fri Jun 22 22:42:41 CEST 2012

I generally don't worry about the high virtual memory usage. (and perhaps
that will bite me some day ^_^)

There are other memory requirements such as the threads (-s is only for the
object cache). Beyond that, there is also transient storage for short lived
requests which defaults to an unlimited malloc. Given that, I would say the
resident memory size looks about right.
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/Performance &
https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/3.0/reference/varnishd.html#transient-storage

You could also dig in with pmap ;)