Varnish using more RAM than allocated

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Fri Jun 22 23:03:59 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Crowder, Travis
<Travis.Crowder at penton.com>wrote:

>  I recall seeing on the mailing list before a reason why Varnish would
> use more RAM than allocated due to storing something outside of the defined
> allocated memory.****
>
> ** **
>
> For example, I have a box that is allocated 6G of RAM, but it is using
> about 12G virtual memory.

That doesn't make sense. Virtual memory is virtual. You're not using it,
Varnish has mapped it into it's memory space. Just ignore it.

Also, note that allocating memory to a backend (6G) does not include the
amount of memory needed for the various internal structures - more or less
1k per object.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer