Effective way of monitoring cache hit/miss ratio?

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 00:58:56 CEST 2013

Can anyone provide some advice for monitoring the cache hit/miss ratio?

The current way I'm doing it seems overly complicated. I'm running a script
every minute that executes"varnishstat -f cache_hit,cache_miss -1" and
stores the hits and misses as a delta. It stores it as a delta because I
need the hit/miss ratio over a period of time and not since the beginning
of the application starting.

It's cumbersome and requires two data points. It's also inflexible in terms
of hit/miss ratio over arbitrary periods of time.

Has anyone else encountered this and can provide some advice?

--
Stephen Wood
Dev/Ops Engineer