high iowait

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Wed Mar 20 02:46:37 CET 2013

One of our varrnish servers is spending about 40-50% of its time in iowait.
Is this just from the varnishlog getting written? Our IO performance is not
great and I'm looking to be able to get the amount of time we are spending
doing IO down. This occurs even when everything is running nicely in memory
and we aren't overflowing into swap ( which was detailed in a different
email as I think they might be different issues ).

varnishd (varnish-3.0.3 revision 9e6a70f)

sysconfig/varnish

# -*- mode: conf-unix -*-
#
# Configuration file for varnish
#
# This file is managed by puppet.
# Local changes will be reverted.
#
# /etc/init.d/varnish expects the variable $DAEMON_OPTS to be set from this
# shell script fragment.
#

# Maximum number of open files (for ulimit -n)
NFILES=131072

# Locked shared memory (for ulimit -l)
# Default log size is 82MB + header
MEMLOCK=82000

# Maximum size of corefile (for ulimit -c). Default in Fedora is 0
# DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT="unlimited"

# Listen on port 6081, administration on localhost:6082, and forward to
# one content server selected by the vcl file, based on the request.  Use a
# fixed-size cache file.
#
# Without "ban_lurker_sleep," nothing banned from the cache ever gets
evicted.
#
DAEMON_OPTS="-a :6081 \
             -T :6082 \