PURGING objects on multiple instances of varnish

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 23:41:52 CEST 2013

Generally speaking, the varnish setup you are describing would use a hash
director and not round-robin, so that the object would only be cached on
one of your varnish nodes and therefore only require a single purge request.

If your object lives on multiple nodes, then you could do something simple
like send a HTTP request to *every* one of your hosts. This would require
you to keep a list of your hosts and also create the appropriate
permissions on all of your varnish instances:

$ for i in `cat varnish_host.list`; do curl -XPURGE http://$i/object;done

I hope that helps. Maybe somebody can offer a better solution than myself.